Sunday 12 February 2012

Experimenting with New Materials

My Toucan sketch, (brown envelope, pencils around 30mins)

Today i was in search of a brown sketch book to practice my traditional art skills but on a different type of paper. Traditionally i have always worked on white paper when it comes to using pencil, but after seeing a recent inspirational piece by Norman J. Schureman where he uses brown paper i thought id give it a go as it seems to give his drawings energy and life, and i believe this is because of the ability to create light and shadow markings on the page. I will be incorporating this technique in my designs in future.

But as you may have noticed my quest for a brown paper sketch book failed and so i discovered the next best thing... a 25 pack of brown envelopes... Creative i thought! I am also enjoying being able to stick my drawings up around my work space, rather than ripping it out of a sketch book! The picture above shows my Toucan pinned to my notice board.

1 comment:

  1. Thats a pretty sweet idea! Be cool to see where it goes! Good job!

    ReplyDelete