Sunday 26 February 2012

Avatar's Hammerhead Redesign

Above Top Image: My Redesign of Avatars Hammerhead Concept.
Above Bottom Image: Breakdown of changes.

Based on my discussion in my SM2 Research section about Avatars Hammerhead Creature this is my redesign of how i believe the creature would look in 'real life', considering functionality.

The first thing you will notice is i have got rid of those unnecessary spare parts (the extra 2 front limbs), as i believe they are not needed for this creatures survival. I have taken away the shoulder armour and given my redesign a full spine armour suit, from its hammerhead horn to the tip of its tail it now has solid impenetrable, over lapping plates to protect from debris or spears being thrown under the turtle shell inspired structure on its back. I have given it a turtle shell as it remains streamlined for running at high speed and will prevent snagging as it has no sharp pointed edges. Also if this creature were to compete with other males for a female the shell would protect its upper body from potentially devastating blows of an opponents hammer horn. As the shell clasps to the front of the creatures body i have also discarded the sharp pointed spines, creating a smooth less harmful harness for the hammerhead.

These are only minor changes to the original Hammerheads design, but i believe these changes improve the creatures design from a functionality point of view, which leads me to believe this creature could have been designed with vision as its main consideration, and giving the audiences the 'wow' factor. I believe my redesigned version still does that but without those added visual extras. As i have mentioned before keeping visual representations from animals in existence today helps audiences relate to the creature and almost believe it could exist. Added visuals simply decreases that believability.

No comments:

Post a Comment