Monday 20 February 2012

Close Encounters!

This weekend i have been away on a visit to the picturesque location of Bowness on Windermere in the Lake District. What an inspiring place it is too. I spent the weekend sampling the local bars, cafes and restaurants naturally, but i also kept my eyes open for inspiration.


Whilst sifting through the Galleries and absorbing the breath taking views, taking as many photographs as i possibly could, i stumbled across a small group of people setting up what appeared to be a selection of bird perches... When i asked they said they had a show of Owls and a Buzzard taking place shortly, naturally i hung around as this was an opportunity not to be missed, to see these amazing birds up close and to gather more photographs (see photography).

I was also given the opportunity to hold a Barn Owl and a Common Buzzard, they where shockingly tame as i was able to stroke them with ease and also received a snuggle from the Barn Owl. They where lighter than i originally expected and their feathers so soft and weightless it was at times difficult to work out if i was actually stroking them! Fascinating experience and definitely the highlight of the holiday.

Also whilst in Bowness i took the opportunity to visit the World of Beatrix Potter Attraction, and photographed some familiar characters which i have discussed in my Inspiration section of this Blog.

I used to spend hours when i was younger watching the Beatrix Potter Videos and reading the stunning little books, all curtisy of my Grandad Brookes who introduced me to the world of Beatrix at his cottage in Wales where i used to spend many holidays. I believe this was possibly where my fascination with animals and nature began. Id spend days with him fishing in the nearby streams, walking through the endless fields and forests collecting leaves and pine cones for me to draw back at the cottage. So visiting the attraction at the weekend felt like a step back in time for me, revisiting where i feel my creative career began.

From the Photographs i took of these birds of prey i played around with one in particular in Photoshop. Cropping, selecting and simply altering brightness and contrast and playing around with the colour levels and hues, to produce these pieces below. I particularly like the first one, where during experimentation some fascinating colours appeared creating a staggering painted effect, and also creating an atmosphere within the piece.
Above: Small Owl. My photograph with added va va voom!
Above: Small Owl. Black and White version.

No comments:

Post a Comment