Monday 27 February 2012

The Dawn of the 'Birdmonkeys'!

Above: My BirdMonkey sketch ( Howler & Tawny Frogmouth) Coloured pencil on brown Paper.

Above is one of my many Bird/Monkey combinations. It is a combination of a Howling Monkey and a Tawny Frogmouth. I initially started drawing the silhouette of the Howler and thought a large mouthed bird would fit nicely thus creating my Howler Frogmouth. This creature feeds on fruit and insects and is very territorial creating a howling screech when others invade its patch.

Function Considered - Reaching food in high places and successfully eating them.  
My reasons for designing these 'Birdmonkeys' is that the creature has incredible manoeuvrability when climbing through trees, long tails for balance and birds heads and beaks for breaking open hard shelled fruits, and breaking away tree bark to reveal sap and insects. I have designed several sub species including a Green Pecking Marmoset and an Owl-Utan.

The main test here was using coloured pencils on brown paper as well as light and shade, which again i quite like as it gives the image more perspective and makes it more interesting to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment