Tuesday 17 April 2012

Experimenting with Backgrounds

Above: My Creature on textured surface test.

After the completion of my creature below i really didn't like its plain white background, i felt it didn't show of my creatures potential.

I have never been a big landscape person so this was a mini venture into the unknown and a foundation to build upon. Using the textures technique i learnt from the Alien Apple Studio's visit i applied a tree bark texture and worked into it on an overlay layer, adding highlights and shadows, moss and scratch marks and also a beak scraped area between the creatures front limbs.

I think using the textures is a great method of amplifying believability in a piece and i will use them in the future when appropriate.

I still think the background looks bare, but i am a perfectionist and i am not happy until everything is finished to the same standard. Which is good as usually the final product looks good but bad as i feel like this is unfinished. Although introducing a full background may take away the the importance of the creature. Environments is something i must practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment