Thursday 15 December 2011

Semester 1 Complete!

Since my previous post, i have completed the design process for the Great Crested Bird (see Creature Development) and i have also put the finished concept in my Creature Gallery.

From this process i have learnt the importance of planning and attention to detail in a creatures design. Considering - how its feathers look? what colours are best? what kind of pupil does it have in its eye? does it fit in it environment? all important in discovering the right design path and creating a successful creature.

This first semester i feel my approach to creature design has been enhanced greatly. Starting with importance of structure (anatomy and musculature), my research into verisimilitude and overcoming a players disbelief, considering evolution and details as to how that creature lives, feeds and moves and finally the importance of the right texture - feathers, scales etc must look believable as the viewer can relate to existing animals.

My contextual visits also played there part in a new way of gathering inspiration and provided an insight into how other artists and designers work. The Zoo visit was of particular relevance to myself as i could study first hand animals in their environment and how they move and behave.

I believe my research into creating believable creatures this semester has provided me with the necessary foundations to further my creature design process next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment